Wednesday, April 7, 2021

IWSG - Break Out of the Mold


Insecure Writer's Support Group


Purpose of the IWSG: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Join us!

The Question:

Are you a risk-taker when writing? Do you try something radically different in style/POV/etc. or add controversial topics to your work?

 The Answer

I'd like to think so. I know that formula writing goes against my grain. Mostly, though, I just write what I like to read. And as an avid reader, I read everything. I find it hard to understand limits, but many have refused to read my work because of the subject. 

Still, to each his own...I write for the love of writing and because I have something to say.

 The outstanding co-hosts this month are:

&

Be sure to say hello!


KEEP WRITING!

***
Announcing!

FREEDOM MORNING


Freedom Morning is a watercolor by Claude Clark, the African American artist, and art educator painted in 1941.

“As a child in the churches, the schools, and the community, I dreamed of a destiny. My search became a single purpose for the dignity of Black Americans.”

Claude Clark was born in Georgia in 1915. His art characterizes the African American diaspora experience. He faced prejudice, poverty, and racism but did not allow these to deter him. He mixed his own paints from the trashed tubes in art schools. When he could not afford the expensive brushes and cleaning agents, he developed his unique technique with the palette knife. Read more about his remarkable life here.

The interpretation of art (and prompts!) is in the eye of the beholder, and this artwork is rich with possibilities.

Will you let Freedom Morning spark a flash of hope for a systematically suppressed character?

Will someone break free - of chains, of the past, of a closed mindset - after years of living with them?

Or maybe someone will watch a brand-new sunrise and decide to start life afresh? Rise to a challenge? :) Overcome a hardship?

Take the artwork as a whole or in part and seed that into imagination. Your canvas is unlimited.

Thank you, Nila!


Join the WEP for this second challenge






4 comments:

  1. You write about murder so I'm sure there have been risks with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely take some risks - and they pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so. I feel that I've achieved my goal with the Detective Quaid Mysteries. I'm happy with the outcome.

      Delete
  3. The painting is very moving. I think about what early slaves had to endure and I'm ashamed by my whining about my everyday life. I can't imagine. Yes, we take risks as fiction writers. But our readers take risks by reading our work. So it balances itself out.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, say hello and leave your blog address - I'll visit, but please take with you my undying gratitude that you stopped by for a read. Be well, be happy, and may your blog surfing bring you joy!