Wednesday, February 5, 2020

IWSG - Inspiration from Art


Before I took my long hiatus, my blog Defending the Pen had been part of the IWSG since 2008. But since I'm going back to posting author interviews every Monday there - I decided to post my insecurities on this blog. I want to give the author represented there, a full week of exposure for their work.

Just so you know, my insecurities are the same. Even though I have 6 published books, and have had two of my stories accepted for two of the IWSG anthologies, I still wonder about my writing abilities. This time I was ready to quit, ready to just walk away, then I read one of my short stories. 

And I thought, wow, I can write. LOL Yeah, sometimes it takes a kick in the pants. But it gave me the push to publish my last book and to get back to blogging. Besides, I tried painting, but after seeing the work of a horse in New York, I was convinced I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever succeeding as an artist. LOL

So, I've dusted myself off, and I'm back in the game - for good this time, well, with shorter breaks anyway. :) 





Don't forget to visit the website:
Insecure Writer’s Support Group Website!!!


February 5 question - Has a single photo or work of art ever inspired a story? What was it and did you finish it? 


Most definitely, every Wednesday a new writing prompt is posted on the Friday Fictioneers Blog site run by Rochelle Wisoff

When I first began participating it was a photo prompt and the challenge was to write a flash in 100 words. It was/is great fun. If you're looking for a great challenge, try it!

Here's my first try from July 2, 2015.

ANT FARM


Dad took me to the ant farm. Even spray-painted my initials on the 63' Sedan. Dad loved his baby-blue caddy. I remember him racing, doing crazy eights, and how I choked on the dust cloud swirling like a comet tale as he drove away that fateful day.

Memories of him tinkering, washing, and polishing Abby, a car, my namesake, are all I have left. That and a few faded photographs. A handsome man. The ladies loved him. Did he ever love anyone?

Mom married Hank, a mean son-of-a-bitch.

Stuffing Hank's carcass in the tail of that monument somehow seems apropos.

100 words
Yolanda Renee © 2015



Don't forget February means a new 
writing challenge from the WEP







22 comments:

  1. Hi,
    It nice to have you back and I'm smiling because I'm happy about it.
    Your tale about your dad's car and his love for the women is sad for me. A young girl who admired her dad ended up with a stepfather who was mean spirited and she hated him.
    What a said way to grow up in a house with a louse like that.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pat!
      I'm thrilled to be back. It's been awhile since I felt so happy about something myself. Looking forward, only!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love your Ant Farm story. What a great response to that prompt.
    Glad to see you back in the game!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie, it great to be here. The Ant Farm was a fun write.

      Delete
  3. Haha, love it! Hank got what he deserved, that's for sure. Wish I'd been there. Okay, not. Glad you're back, Yolanda. Seems we had a similar idea. Hiatus are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And necessary. Don't regret taking a break at all. Now that I'm settled it's fun getting back to it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Tyrean, I keep trying to tell myself that. :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you're back! I love, love, love that final twist in your story. Happy writing in February

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadira, 1000 words a day. That's the goal.

      Delete
  6. Just fate for a mean man and good twist in a short write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Definitely stuff the mean bugger there. Great story and a fascinating image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dust yourself off and get back to it. That's a writer's life for you. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your ant farm story, Yolanda Renée! Good luck with your writing plans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm seriously glad you decided to return. We all have those fears, I think. And every time we reach a goal, we set the bar higher- I want to write a book. Then after we do that, we want readers. Then more readers. Maybe make a list...

    I don't think it ever ends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the flash piece! And I'm glad you found reassurance in your own writing. I do that sometimes. I convince myself that I suck, then go back and read something I wrote and think, well, that isn't half bad. Maybe I should keep writing. It's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. But damn, those insecurities do creep in. Thanks for visiting, Janet!

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, say hello and leave your blog address - I'll visit, but please take with you my undying gratitude that you stopped by for a read. Be well, be happy, and may your blog surfing bring you joy!